Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Is it Hereditary?

Since I am young (yeah!) and Mother and 2 of her sisters have had breast cancer, it was recommended that I be tested for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations. Although less than 10% of breast cancers are hereditary, the presence of mutations in these genes is a strong indicator for the occurrence of breast and ovarian cancer. Insurance was willing to pay for the testing, so I went in and had the blood drawn for this test the day after we received the pathology reports. It would take about 2 weeks for the results to come back. In the mean time, we met with a geneticist at the Cancer Clinic. Using information I had given, she had created a family tree showing the incidence of breast cancer and other diseases. As we discussed the probabilities, it looked like the BRCA mutations would be unlikely. I have 66 first cousins on my mother's side and to my knowledge, none have had breast cancer. It appeared that the three sisters having breast cancer was more likely to be environmentally related than genetically. Last week we got the good news that the BRCA test was negative - Yea! (I like this sorting hat!) The implications of that are that it won't be passed on to the children or grandchildren and that the cancer I have now is far less likely to occur in the other breast. Good news!

8 comments:

amy glenn said...

Thank Goodness it was negative for the cancer gene! Kate

ABCarlisle said...

Cy,
I didn't know. This just put my tooth ache into perspective.

My prayers will be with you. You are strong in body and even stronger in faith. You'll do great

Love you
Alice

The Steeds said...

I was glad to hear that you started a blog. You are constantly in our prayers and wish and pray for the best for you and your family! If interested my blog is jsteed1984.blogspot.com.
-Jenny

Julie P. said...

I, like Jenny, am also glad you started a blog. This means I don't need to call my mom every other day to see if there is more news about your health. You are in our prayers every day. Our blog is jonandjulieprice.blogspot.com if you are interested in that:) Keep smiling!

Carol Morris said...

Cynthia,
This is the first I have heard this news. With being out of town, I haven't been in the loop to hear. Our love and prayers will be with you. We will look forward to serving you as your family has so lovingly served all of us. We love you!
The Morris'

CMHill said...

We are thinking about you guys. We hope that all is going well. Mark carrie and fam

Janette, A Licensed Martha Pullen Teacher said...

You are in our Thoughts and Prayers
We sure love you guys! Love the Barkers

Jerolyn & Bruce said...

Cynthia,
We cherish our friendships in the Parkway 8th ward. We certainly miss you! So sorry to hear of this trial. You continue to amaze us with your faith! Our love, faith and prayers are with you and your family.

Bruce & Jerolyn

bruceandjer.blogspot.com