Monday, April 13, 2009

Spring is Here!

I think spring is finally here! The daffodils and my snow fountain cherry are blooming. I finished radiation treatments on April 3rd. The staff at IMC's cancer center was wonderful, but it's nice to be done. I get a bit of a reprieve this month from doctors' visits. I take tamoxifen now for 5 years to keep the cancer from coming back. So, I'm now a survivor!

We had a fun visit from Roger and Kat and the little ones March 27 & 28. They are great parents! The kids really took to Jeremy and Sam. It was even more fun to have Kristen & Greg and their little ones join us for some of Rob's BBQ. The cousins had a great time together.




The next weekend Barbara and Jay stopped by on their way to Washington state for a vacation. And guess what?? Jay has the same haircut as me! My goal is to have the same haircut as Barbara by the time we get together in June. We'll see if I get as many curls as she has. It think it will be a while before it's long again.

For spring break, Rob worked, Josh went on tour to California with choir and the kids and I went skiing. I went spring skiing on my own on Wednesday. It had gotten warm on Tuesday and then froze that night. Thankfully they groom all the blues and greens at Deer Valley, so it was skiable. One run looked like a lot of fun but once I got on it I discovered that all the tracks and 'powder' were actually frozen solid - oops. That would explain why I didn't see anyone else skiing on the run. On Friday, the kids and I went up to Brighton. It was a great day with fresh snow all over the mountain and clear weather. The blue runs were just perfect. The black runs will have to wait till next year. My oncologist says it will take about a year to get feeling all the way better after what the chemo has done to me. He says it's a good indicator, though, if I'm out skiing.
Thanks for giving us strength and courage for all of this. Here's hoping you are all well and have strength and courage for whatever comes your way.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

It is nice to finally see the start of spring! I'm glad you've had so much fun with all your visitors and skiing. You look fantastic and cute with your short hair and congrats on being a survivor I'm so happy about it all!

Rob and Vienna said...

Looks like you guys are doing great. And who knows, short hair might be more fun than you think :) Love you all!

Karissa said...

I am so glad that your treatments went well! I was so sad when I found out about the cancer. Of course you'd pull through, you're such a strong woman. I'm so glad I have found your blog!
-Karissa (Klein) Kim